I decided to make my own cashew butter because:
- It’s so simple
- Contains less sugar and preservatives than store bought ones
The recipe is so easy that you would start making your own nut butters and will last you for a good week if you eat it everyday.
What you’ll need:
- 200g cashew nuts (I prefer to buy the roasted ones but you can get them raw and then roast them yourself)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- honey/maple syrup to taste (optional)
- If you haven’t roasted your cashew, please roast them in an oven at about 110 deg C till they turn light brown. Leave them to cool.
- Whip out your food processor and then start grinding the nuts.
- When it’s in powder form, add in the vanilla extract and honey/maple syrup. I didn’t add in any sweet stuff in my personal jar.
- Blend for 5 min. Don’t skimp on the time because you want the butter to be smooth and…buttery.
- Taste and add in more vanilla extract/honey/maple syrup if needed.
- Blend for another minute.
- Add in the coconut oil if you prefer a firmer butter to spread on your toast and blend the mixture for a bit longer.
- Refrigerate and you’re done!
I love eating it with toast, drizzled with a bit of honey or chocolate. If you’re cooking Butter Chicken, this works as a great thickener as well. Sometimes, when I’m having a snack attack, I just dig out a spoonful of my cashew butter and it works well for the cravings.
I’m now so keen to try making other nut butters! You could say that I’m getting a bit nutty. Hahaha!